Monday, February 26, 2007

Indoor air pollution

The other day, I was out chopping ice off my sidewalk in visible air, that sort of pollution that filters the sunlight and hangs palpably about the head. I read recently that every 10 extra micrograms of particulate matter per cubic meter of air increases the chances by 24% that an aging woman such as myself will keel over with a heart attack.

The next morning's paper noted that the level of crap in Denver's air that day was 74 mcg, making me nearly twice as likely to pitch over dead than my menopausal colleagues in pristine air. Good thing that on average ladies my age don't generally fall out with heart attacks. But now I discover that air in my home can be up to 100 times more polluted than that outdoors, in which case it's amazing I survived my trip back inside for coffee and cake.

Just how bad is your indoor air? Check out indoorairalliance.org to order a most reasonably priced evaluation of the air in your home and office.

No comments: