Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Doc-in-a-Van

Some patients are just plain uncomfortable sitting in a doctor's office.
--Randolph Swiller, MD, Ft. Lauderdale, FLA


So if the patient won't come to Dr. Swiller, he comes to them. In fact, that's what he does, all car rounds all of the time. He believes that medicine has become "time-centric and impersonal," and that home visits are "one way physicians can reclaim the high ground in medicine."

My lowdown on his high ground is that it sounds wildly impractical and inefficient. I am sure, however, that there are any number of people right here in Denver so spooked by the very idea of medical care that they would never set foot in a doctor's office. A free-wheeling MD (and Doc Swiller offers sliding scale visits!) could certainly change their lives.

2 comments:

JeanMac said...

Wonderful for those in need such has bedridden but seems highly inefficient. Mom's MD visited her at home and I always told her how absolutely lucky she was as he certainly didn't make any $, I'm sure.She was an old RN & had seen him forever so I think he was being very kind to her.

Mauigirl said...

What a great idea. Maybe a good idea for an older doctor who has decided to retire from office practice but can still drive.

Heck, I had to drag my husband to the doctor 10 years ago - he hadn't been for a checkup since he entered college at 18! (Found out he had high blood pressure, too - so it's lucky I did!). Maybe if there were a visiting doc he'd have found out even sooner.