Wednesday, August 01, 2007

"...no reason to give it up"

Patients continue to tell me with pride that they have given up coffee. Gotta love coffee, however, and indeed I do. You see, what the drink does unto skin cells (see post below) it also does unto colon cells.

Japanese investigators studied the coffee-swigging habits of 96,000 people. While men showed no particular colonic benefit from coffee, women who indulged in 3 or more cups per day over the 12 year course of the study had less than half the risk of invasive colon cancer compared with their uncoffeed peers. Says Manami Inoue of the research team:

Some people cannot tolerate caffeine, so they should not force themselves to drink coffee. But for people who like it, there is no reason to give it up.

1 comment:

Mauigirl said...

Great to know! I drink about 3-4 cups a day. I once gave it up for about 2 months because I'd been having heart palpitations and wondered if it was the caffeine. Apparently not as it seems the real culprit is more apt to be stress. I went back to it as soon as I realized it wasn't causing the problem. Even after the coffee addiction was well out of my system (and the headache went away) I still never really felt awake without real coffee in the morning!