Wednesday, August 08, 2007

THE defining moment

Well I've been debating ever since my last posting about whether or not to share this DM with you. I don't want you to think me unprofessional, and, after all, I did sign this Med Blogger Code of Ethics thing. However, if I relay something that happened in the course of practicing my profession in a dispassionate sort of way, how could that be deemed unprofessional?

The schedule noted her visit as Stomach flu. She sat down by my exam room desk and began rummaging in her large bag. After extracting a baggie, she tossed it across the desk to me.

Uh-oh. Close encounters of the turd kind. Thank heavens for Snap n' Seal. This, she declared, is what's coming out of me. What almost came out of me is uncontrollable laughter. The final crowning moment of the quintessential DM? She started to leave the room without her production at the end of the visit. Would you mind, I asked gently, taking that along with you?

4 comments:

Mauigirl said...

You've been on a blogging roll this week! I am having fun catching up.

All I can say about this one is, "eeewwww." ;-)

Midlife Midwife said...

AAAHHHHHH! OK, that trumps my story of patient's gifts in ziplock bags. Mine just gave me a bag of heroine to "put in the hospital safe for me until I am released". Ummm, the police department took care of it for me. She opted not to go claim it.

Amanda said...

Oh my goodness! Okay, I definitely laughed out loud at that one :)

It's a good thing I didn't go to medical or nursing school. I'd either be laughing so hard patients would run from me in herds, or I'd be throwing up so much I couldn't see 'em!

Hee...

Anonymous said...

LOL I am definitely laughing at this one!